Monday, March 5, 2018

PREPPING THE GARDEN PART ONE SOIL

It was a good day Saturday, contrary to this photo...


It was overcast and looked like it might rain at any moment.  But it was cool and breezy and the rain held off until Sunday so it was fine.

I figured it was a good day to get to the garden and start working. I had already weeded the beds (though there weren't very many weeds, thankfully).

I also cleared out both the cabbage bed and the collard greens bed (see yesterday's post).


First thing I did was add some compost...


Then I used a shovel and mixed it into the existing soil. Turning it in and bringing the bottom to the top and vice versa...


Then I topped each bed off with a blend that is specifically made for raised beds and used the rake to  smooth it all out and make it ready...


Here is the end result...  

Cleaned out and soil is ready.  The plan this year is spread out over three weekends so that plants miss the cold weather.  Our last possible frost date is the 15th (though as screwy as the weather has been who knows, we could have an April freeze). 

This weekend was soil prep
(getting the soil and compost mixed together and ready for planting).

Next weekend will be irrigation prep
(getting all the water hoses hooked back up, determining where and setting the timer, etc).

The following weekend will be planting
(seeds and seedlings, you know, the fun stuff).

That puts us with plants in the ground earlier than last year and hopefully before the rains come.


Now we're planning what we're going to plant this season.  Tomatoes of course, more pickling cukes, and this year, a pepper bed with a variety of peppers instead of just jalapeƱos.  And of course herbs.

Also planting some carrots and beets.

Spring fever has arrived!

14 comments:

  1. Looks like you are ready.
    I managed to go to the farm co-op near the lake place to buy seeds. I have found it is worth the extra price (1 buck a pack vs, 25 cents at the dollar store) to get the varieties that are best for our area. I will be planting rattlesnake beans on Good Friday. According to my grandmother 's lore Good Friday beans have the best yield. I like to plant them then in memory of her and who knows? She might have been on to something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea about a local co-op, I need to look for that. Rattlesnake beans? I will have to read up on those. What a neat tip from your Grandmother. There's something to be said for those old facts. Experience is wisdom! Keep us posted!

      Delete
  2. Looking good there 1st Man.
    I bought some pepper plants yesterday so once I get my compost dumped in the area I will be ready to plant my plants but first need to make the name tags so that they are all done when it comes to play in the dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only ever planted cayenne peppers and they are so east to grow. It looks like you will have a good variety of food. Are you not planting zucchini or squash?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, squash, I forgot to mention that. Yep going to try that again. It's all still trial and error but it's fun and we do get food out of it so that's a win win, ha.

      Delete
  4. That's a lovely head start, don't forget crop rotation, companion planting and soil compatibility to what is being planted.
    Every year is an improvement and should be a great harvest for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, thanks for that. Definitely rotating around to different beds each season.

      Delete
  5. Wow, those prepped beds are beautiful! All the hard work is done and you're ready for the fun of planting.
    My local nursery has gotten in a bunch of things which I bought: herbs, mints, and several varieties of tomatoes and peppers. Seeds for green beans, yellow wax beans, yellow squash, white pattypan squash, zucchini, pickling cucumbers, dill (for pickles), and okra. He had some seed-potatoes which I think I'll plant also.
    Planting now, I'm doing so a little earlier than my usual March 15. If we happen to get a late frost, it's just seeds and seedlings which can be easily re-planted. I want to get a headstart on the heat.
    I still have some lettuce left - I'm going to leave a few to the side for eating and also a few of each variety to seed out for fall volunteers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to get the irrigation done first so it's ready but yep going to the garden centers this week and seeing what I can go ahead an snag. We can keep on the balcony at the apartment until it goes into the ground. I think we made it though our winter, Spring is here!

      Delete
  6. Exciting times.
    On this side of the world I have ordered bulbs for our spring display. And continue to weed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. Hey' we'll be there soon enough!

      Delete
  7. Nice looking beds! I planted tomatoes eggplant and peppers last Saturday, think they'll be fine. I purchased the soaker hose setup you have, waiting to get a faucet installed to set it up. I hope you're still happy with yours. Ps got mine directly from Gardeners Supply, sign up for their email and your first order is free shipping. Saved over Amazon. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb! Yep, that's where I got ours. I do love it. Just be forewarned, the soaker hose part won't hold up after a season. It splits and becomes brittle after being in the elements. It will also let out a lot of water closest to the faucet so plan for that too. Email me if you have any questions!!!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!