Sunday, February 17, 2013

VINTAGE POSTER SUNDAY, JOIN THE BEAN ARMY

WW1 Bean Brigade poster, image courtesy us US National Agriculture Library

I think this is a pretty fun poster.  It's from WWI, and, well, it's all about beans!
You know, beans beans the magical fruit, the more....oh yeah, you know!

Anyway, they urged people to grow beans because, as the poster says, they were more important than bullets!  In a time when food was in short supply and what we had was  needed for the troops overseas, beans provided nutrition to those at home and so the "Michigan Food Preparedness Committee"
(I love that name!) came up with this poster and made the push to get people growing more beans.

Fascinating glimpse into our past!

Hope you are having a great weekend!


2 comments:

  1. I do enjoy your Sunday posters. Thanks for all the research you do on this glimpse into our history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for saying that. I enjoy finding these online and reading about the history of them. Sometimes I post them and no one comments so I wonder if they are interesting but I've not missed a Sunday yet, ha.

      Thanks again!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!